Deverick Alex

Deverick Alex booking photo from 2017. (Kendall County Jail photo)

A Chicago man, who was charged in 2017 for detaining another inmate with a fabricated weapon inside of the Kendall County Jail, has been sentenced to eight years in prison, after he pleaded guilty to a charge of Unlawful Possession of Contraband in a Penal Institution.

Kendall County Court records show Judge Joseph Voiland, on Monday, sentenced 28 year-old Deverick Alex, following a guilty plea to the offense in June, in exchange for not entering a plea to other charges of Armed Violence, Forcible Detention, Aggravated Unlawful Restraint, and Aggravated Assault.

As WSPY reported in March of 2017, Alex, an inmate on hold from the Cook County Jail, used materials from within the jail to create a sharpened weapon and while corrections staff were transporting inmates from a common area, Alex refused to comply and forcibly detained another male inmate with the weapon, demanding transport back to Cook County.

The Kendall County Sheriff's Department said that Alex threatened to kill the other inmate if his demands were not met. The confrontation eventually deescalated and Alex was taken into custody.

Alex was in custody at the time in connection with a 2013 Aggravated Kidnapping, Robbery and Aggravated Criminal Sexual Assault incident out of Cook County.

The Chicago Tribune reported that Alex abducted a 26-year-old woman at Northwest Indiana gas station after hiding in her car trunk. The case is still pending in Cook County Court.

Additionally, Alex was charged in Kendall County in April of 2017 for Criminal Damage to Government Supported Property after he got a hold of a mop inside of the Kendall County Jail and used the handle to cause damage to a TV.

Alex previously pleaded guilty to that offense. He additionally has past criminal convictions for counts of Aggravated Battery to a Corrections officer in Cook County, and has convictions in other jurisdictions, as well.

In Monday's sentencing, court records show Alex was additionally sentenced to two years of mandatory supervised release.