Sandwich Fire Dept. Patch

Sandwich Fire officials say no injuries occurred, following a fire that broke out at a residence in the 500 block of N. Lafayette St. in Sandwich on Thursday.

Sandwich Fire and several other agencies responded to the reported structure fire around 2:36 p.m. where crews found smoke showing from a two-story house.

Crews entered the house to find a small fire in the basement of the residence.

Officials say that crews were met with zero visibility in the residence and had difficulty finding the basement to extinguish the fire.

The fire was confined to the area of origin in the basement and residents in the home were able to evacuate safely.

According to officials, the cause of the fire was determined to have started from a dehumidifier that was plugged in approximately 30 minutes prior to the fire.

Again, there were no injuries.

Sandwich Fire received mutual aid assistance from Somonauk, Little Rock-Fox, Newark, and Big Rock Fire Departments.

Information provided in this report has been obtained from area authorities, including but not limited to local police, fire and emergency dispatch officials. Information is sourced only from official sources of public information unless otherwise stated. Subjects listed who have been charged or cited for crimes have not been proven guilty in court and all acts are alleged.