UPDATE: 

The Sandwich man, convicted of killing five people at a restaurant in Yorkville in 1972, who is now again out of prison on parole, will move to Chicago.

That's according to Illinois State Police Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Registry records. In an updated profile on Tuesday afternoon, the 78 year-old Carl Reimann is listed as living at a residence on S. Indiana Ave., which is in the West Pullman neighborhood near the Roseland neighborhood on the south side of Chicago.

Reimann was released from the Dixon Correctional Center following a new host site that was approved on Monday by the Illinois Department of Corrections.

He had been back in prison following a frenzy of pushback on two previous living locations. It was announced last May that Reimann was sent back to prison over a technical parole violation because those two living locations were found to be, "not suitable."

Reimann is not allowed to return to Kendall County. Illinois Prisoner Review Board spokesperson Jason Sweat indicated that there was not an additional hearing that led to Monday's notification, however, several criteria are required to be met and approved by IDOC for a host site to be viable and the new site reportedly meets those criteria.

As WSPY has reported in numerous past stories, prior to his April of 2018 granting of parole and release, Reimann was sentenced to four 150-year sentences and an additional 60-year sentence in connection with the murders of five people at the Pine Village Restaurant in Yorkville in 1972.

In April of 2018, he was granted parole in an 8-4 vote by the Illinois Prisoner Review Board. Sentenced under old parole laws that changed in 1978, Reimann was eligible for parole consideration and went before the board more than 20 times.

In the following month, Reimann was taken out of a structured living home in Calumet City.

Prior to that site and following his first departure from prison, Reimann moved to La Grange. Both residences caused public backlash due to there proximity to schools, involving cries from legislators, to local officials, and some in the public.

Interestingly enough, Reimann's new residence is a little under a half of a mile from Chicago Collegiate Charter School, a charter school serving grades four through twelve.

While he is a registered violent offender, he is not listed on the sex offender registry and does not have a legal restriction from living within any regulated proximity of a school. 

Reimann and accomplice Betty Piche of Somonauk were both charged with crimes in what was said to be a planned robbery of the Yorkville restaurant in 1972.

Reimann was convicted of shooting and killing employees Catherine Rekate, John Wilson, George Pashade and customers Dave Gardner and Robert Loftus.

ORIGINAL STORY:

The Sandwich man, convicted of killing five people at a restaurant in Yorkville in 1972, has been released on parole from the Dixon Correctional Center following a new host site that has been approved by the Illinois Department of Corrections.

IDOC records show Tuesday morning that Reimann is out on parole in "Parole District 1."

Where the 78 year-old Reimann is going is not known, however, it may be known soon. Currently, his address listed on the Illinois State Police Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Registry is still listed as the Illinois Department of Corrections.

Reimann is required to list his new address within three days of release. Illinois Prisoner Review Board spokesperson Jason Sweat said Reimann remained under supervised parole.

Reimann is not allowed to return to Kendall County and Sweat says while Reimann could technically leave the state of Illinois, the process of filing to do so is lengthy among multiple states.

He declined to comment on where Reimann's host site will be but said it will be public information when made available.

Sweat also indicated that there was not an additional hearing that led to Monday's notification, however, several criteria are required to be met and approved by IDOC for a host site to be viable and the new site reportedly meets those criteria.

Carl Reimann 1972

(Photo courtesy of Kendall County Sheriff's Office)

As WSPY has reported in numerous past stories, prior to his April of 2018 granting of parole and release, Reimann was sentenced to four 150-year sentences and an additional 60-year sentence in connection with the murders of five people at the Pine Village Restaurant in Yorkville in 1972.

In April of 2018, he was granted parole in an 8-4 vote by the Illinois Prisoner Review Board. Sentenced under old parole laws that changed in 1978, Reimann was eligible for parole consideration and went before the board more than 20 times.

In the following month, Reimann was taken out of a structured living home in Calumet City, following a, "technical violation of parole, due to not having a viable host site."

Prior to that site and following his first departure from prison, Reimann moved to La Grange. Both residences caused public backlash due to there proximity to schools, involving cries from legislators, to local officials, and some in the public.

The release also caused a media frenzy. Reimann returned to the Dixon Correctional Center and has been there, awaiting an approved, viable host site.

Reimann and accomplice Betty Piche of Somonauk were both charged with crimes in what was said to be a planned robbery of the restaurant in 1972.

Reimann was convicted of shooting and killing employees Catherine Rekate, John Wilson, George Pashade and customers Dave Gardner and Robert Loftus.

WSPY has attempted to reach Reimann in prison numerous times but calls and messages have not been returned. You can view several past stories with family of victims and law enforcement who responded and handled the case on our online newspaper at WSPYnews.com.

WSPY will bring you more information on Reimann's re-release as it becomes available.