Grand bear fire 053122 2.jpg

Photo courtesy of Northern Illinois Scanner Incidents.

The massive fire that destroyed seven cabins at the Grand Bear Resort in Utica on Memorial Day has been found to be accidental, according to the Utica Fire Protection District. A news release from the district says the fire is believed to have been caused by an unattended charcoal grill on a porch.

No one was hurt and about 24 units in the seven cabins were destroyed. High winds fanned the flames.

Around 61 area fire departments responded with some 40 water tenders as there are no fire hydrants by the resort, which is located near Starved Rock State Park on Route 178.